The United Church of Spring Valley was formally established on April 20, 1980. It is affiliated with both the Reformed Church in America (RCA) and the United Church of Christ (UCC). All members hold dual membership in the two denominations.
The roots of the RCA go back to the Dutch Reformed Church, which was established in New Amsterdam in 1628 and is the oldest Protestant denomination in the United States with a continuous ministry. The Reformed Church of Spring Valley was formed on April 11, 1865. Our present church building in Spring Valley was completed the same year, and when the building was enlarged in 1910, a pipe organ was installed.
With respect to the UCC, the First Congregational Church of Spring Valley was formed on April 8, 1886. This church became part of the newer denomination, the UCC, in 1959. The congregations of the Reformed Church and First Congregational Church began worshiping together, and in January 1978, the Reverend Jon Norton was called to guide the shared ministry. Two years later, Reverend Norton became the first pastor of the United Church of Spring Valley. In 1989, Reverend Norton left United Church to accept a call to a church in New Jersey and subsequently was named the Executive Minister of the Regional Synod of New York in the RCA, a position which he held until his retirement in 2013. The Reverend Jack Branford ministered with United Church of Spring Valley from 1990 until 2006. Our present pastor, the Reverend Dr. Robert D. Williams has served with the church since 2006. Embracing the church’s central location in the Village of Spring Valley, the congregation established ministries to serve the needs of the surrounding communities. Through God’s blessing, these ministries continue today under the leadership of Reverend Williams.